Finding the right Internet Service Provider (ISP) is critical to the success of your business, and with so many options to choose from, the task can feel quite daunting. In addition to the variety of providers, there is a multitude of different deals, offers, and promotions that are created to compete for your business. So which is right for you? Below is a list of the 5 “S”’s you should focus on when researching Internet Service Providers; Scalability, Security, Services, Support, and Symmetrical.
1. Scalability: Be sure that the ISP is able to scale your service as your business grows. Your internet demands will increase as your company develops and become more active. Having a provider that can easily adjust to meet your needs is essential. Some ISPs use technology that is not easily customized, such as DSL, so it is important to inquire about the technical capabilities of a provider before you commit.
2. Security: Question the level of security that the ISP is able to provide. Your company information and data is important, and you want to be sure that your ISP is able to provide you with a secure connection. However, it is crucial for your company to do what it can to increase security, such as installing a firewall, in order to obtain the highest level of protection.
3. Services: Finding an ISP that is able to provide a variety of services, such as Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), is highly beneficial. This will allow for your business to cut costs by obtaining all your services from one provider. It is also advisable to ask about their customer base; are they serving residential customers as well? Or only businesses? If they are providing service to residential customers, it is likely that you will be competing for bandwidth during peak periods. A slow internet connection during these times will hinder your employee’s productivity and impact your company’s bottom line.
4. Support: Most ISPs offer a service level agreement (SLA) that outlines the performance and support terms, such as up-time guarantees and support availability. You should also examine their communication practices. If you have a problem that isn’t related to the technical aspect of your service, who would you call? Do they have a dedicated customer service team? How does the ISP communicate any planned or unplanned service interruptions? These are all things that you should examine while researching ISPs.
5. Symmetrical: Businesses are now uploading data as well as downloading, so it’s important to have an internet connection that is symmetrical. This feature is growing in importance as cloud computing continues to increase in popularity. As previously stated, it is important to find an ISP that is able to match the growth of your business. Although you may not be uploading a lot of data at the start, it is likely that the amount will increase as your company develops. Having a symmetrical connection will allow for your company to upload its data to the cloud quickly and efficiently.
The success of your business is the most important factor, and finding an Internet Service Provider that is able to support the growth of your company is imperative. Reviewing these 5 S’s while researching ISPs will help you find a provider that is right for your business.
Next week, we will be discussing the different types of technology used to provide internet services to assist you in discovering which method is best for your business. Learn about fixed wireless technology now by clicking here.
Blog Author: Vanessa Hartung