In the previous blog, TeraGo Networks Presents: What is IPv6?, we described what IPv6 is and why so many industry professionals have been buzzing about it. IPv6 is contributing to the continued growth of the internet by allowing many more devices and users to connect online. It has become a lifeline for many businesses, allowing them to communicate with their target audience as well as each other.
Since the Internet has become such a vital tool for businesses, it is important that companies embrace the migration to IPv6. However, there are multiple reasons why the deployment of IPv6 is critical for overall business success.
- Avoid Website Disruption: Companies who do not initiate the transition to IPv6 soon may risk accessibility problems. By preparing for the day when IPv4 addresses will inevitably run out, businesses can operate with peace of mind that the extinction of IPv4 will not impact their business.
- Prevent an Increase in Costs: If your business hasn’t planned for the transition to IPv6, it can end up costing more. Companies who do not adopt IPv6 early on will be forced to spend more money in order to deal with the scarcity of IPv4 addresses. These costs can include the implementation of workarounds, the purchase of network gear, or attempting to purchase the few remaining IPv4 addresses.
- Business Growth: Certain parts of the world have already run out of new IPv4 addresses, which can be problematic if your company conducts business globally. This means that the use of IPv6 will soon become mandatory for companies who are looking to reach customers located in international markets. However, as IPv4 addresses become exhausted throughout the globe, businesses will need to implement IPv6 technologies in order to reach any market.
- Maintain a Competitive Edge: Many businesses have been prepared for IPv6 for quite some time now, and several other businesses have already begun to make the transition. In order to maintain a competitive edge in the marketplace, businesses need to be sure they are on the forefront to technology. Especially when it comes to the way in which customers view and connect with your business on the Internet.
- Maintain Business Continuity: IPv6 has been in development for over 20 years and it is now ready to be launched for broad adoption and permanent enablement. More than 1,500 companies, including websites, ISPs and router vendors, have committed to make IPv6 permanently “on by default” for their products and services. This means that your company will be impacted by this transition, one way or another. In order to maintain a seamless user experience, for both employees and customers, businesses need to adopt IPv6. As more and more users make the transition, the change over to IPv6 will become inevitable.
As listed above, businesses that continue to depend on IPv4 as their primary address are at risk of encountering several business challenges. This can include increased costs, limited website functionality, and the inability to penetrate emerging markets. The only long-term solution for businesses is the implementation of IPv6, which provides a vast amount of addresses. Companies who have no plan to adopt IPv6 in the near future can expect a difficult road ahead as more and more users transition to IPv6.
To learn how TeraGo Networks can help your business, click here.